Veteran sportswriter Gil LeBreton argues, convincingly, that “[Mike] Vanderjagt could end up making more of an impact on the Cowboys’ final 2006 record than Terrell Owens will.”
No one should have to remind Cowboys fans of this, but three times last season a field goal — either by Jose Cortez or Billy Cundiff –would have averted a heartbreaking fourth-quarter defeat. That would have turned a 9-7 also-ran into a 12-4 division winner. And how different would this Cowboys off-season have seemed then?
If you groaned aloud, therefore, at Owner Jones’ Thursday acquisition of Vanderjagt, you’re just not doing the arithmetic. Vanderjagt could end up making more of an impact on the Cowboys’ final 2006 record than Terrell Owens will.
A team with championship ambitions can’t afford not to have a dependable place-kicker. The NFL record books show that the Cowboys just signed the most dependable kicker of all time. I’m guessing that Parcells’ cardiologist also approves of the signing.
Forget the Pittsburgh kick. Three years and $5.4 million isn’t much for a guy who could end up being a playoff team’s MVP.
- Cowboys Sign Mike Vanderjagt, Idiot, Liquored Up Kicker
- Cowboys Cut Mike Vanderjagt
- Cowboys Gain Instant Confidence In Gramatica
- Cowboys Release Kicker Shaun Suisham
- Vanderjagt Kicks 50-Yarder in Cowboys Debut
- Dallas Cowboys Kicking Woes Continue
- Mike Vanderjagt, Idiot Kicker, Key to Cowboys’ Hopes
- T.O. One and Done with Cowboys?
- Cowboys Reportedly Close to Signing T.O.
- Cowboys Should Break Bank for Vinatieri
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed