Mickey Spagnola reports that Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells will address the media Friday afternoon at 4 CDT on DallasCowboys.com. Spags notes, however, that it’s not as if Parcells’ thoughts on the draft are a secret.
There are some, and it seems mostly media types, who got their panties in a wad because Bill Parcells didn’t make himself available for interviews draft weekend. They wanted to know what he thought of these draft choices – ha, a euphemism for wanting to ask what he thinks about Terrell Owens. But if they indeed wanted to know what Bill thought about some of these guys, all they had to do was listen to The Ticket’s draft coverage Saturday and Sunday or listen to the coverage carried on The Ticket’s and DallasCowboys.com’s websites and they would have been enlightened.
What, you mean you didn’t catch the phone calls Jerry Jones and Parcells made to their draft choices right after selecting those guys? (They are still archived here on DallasCowboys.com.) Well, if you didn’t, you missed out. Because in several of them, Parcells told the player exactly what he was expecting.
Of course, none of those calls was about Terrell Owens. . . .
Spags recounts several of the conversations with the draftees, which are intermittently amusing and enlightening.
Now with Bobby Carpenter, the first pick, Parcells wasn’t as specific, but made sure the Ohio State linebacker knew he hadn’t forgotten his father, Rob, the former Giants running back in Parcells’ day: “Tell your father he’s going to have to pay for those tickets down here, but when he gets here, we’ll get him in the game. Congratulations, buddy, I’m looking forward to working with you.” And you have to like Carpenter’s answer: “I’m looking forward to winning a Super Bowl, Coach.”
Some of the other calls are a little more lengthy, with a couple of the nervous kids referring to Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones as “coach.” Which, as longtime Cowboys observers might have guessed, he doesn’t mind. Not one bit.
- T.O. One and Done with Cowboys?
- Bill Parcells Missing in Action?
- Has Jerry Jones Learned His Lesson?
- Cowboys Reportedly Close to Signing T.O.
- Cowboys Sign T.O. to 3 Year Extension
- Bill Parcells WFAN Interview
- Parcells: Stay or Go But Do it Now
- Cowboys Looking for WRs and Safeties as Undrafted Free Agents
- Cowboys Coaching Search: Hiring Staff Before Head Coach?
- Barry Switzer Back With Cowboys?
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed