The Duke women’s lacrosse team will wear sweatbands proclaiming their male counterparts “Innocent” during the Final Four.
The Duke women’s lacrosse team retains strong ties to the men’s team currently embroiled in rape allegations. The women plan to wear sweatbands that say “innocent” when they play Northwestern in the Final Four on Friday in Boston, The Durham Herald-Sun reported Wednesday.
“Obviously we want to win a national championship for ourselves, but definitely also for the university and the men’s team,” junior Leigh Jester told the paper. “They don’t really have a chance to play their season, which is a shame. “We’d love to bring it home not only for ourselves, but also for them.”
There’s a strong sense that the Duke players accused of rape are “innocent,” at least in the criminal law sense. Further, I think the school went way overboard in firing the coach and taking their season away before the case was adjudicated.
Still, that was the school’s policy. How can it allow the women’s team to make this statement in contravention to University policy? They, after all, represent the school.
- Duke Lacrosse Rape Charges Dropped
- Duke Men’s Lacrosse Program to be Reinstated
- Duke Lacrosse Gear Sales Skyrocketing
- No DNA Match in Duke Gang Rape Case
- Duke Lacrosse Case Charges to Be Dropped
- Will the University of Minnesota drop out of the Big 10?
- Parting gift- Montana State basketball program gets bequeathed $170,000
- No guns, No guns,
- South Florida fires football coach Jim Leavitt
- Tampa Bay Buccaneer RB arrested for assaulting a pregnant woman
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed