Ashley Lelie’s contract holdout is winning him no fans on the Broncos coaching staff.
Ashley Lelie’s absence is starting to chafe Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan. As promised, Lelie was a no-show Tuesday when the Broncos gathered for onfield work for the first time since losing the AFC title game to Pittsburgh in January. “I can’t worry about the guys that aren’t here — or the guy that’s not here,” Shanahan said after his nine-day quarterbacks camp opened without the recalcitrant former first-round draft pick. “The only thing I’m concerned about are the people that are here. “I know it’s hard to be the No. 1 wide receiver when you’re not competing.”
One player Shanahan was surprised to see in attendance was tackle/tight end Dwayne Carswell, who was critically injured in a car crash last October. “Dwayne is a lot farther ahead than I thought he would be,” Shanahan said. “He’s out there ready to practice already. I did not think that would be possible after watching him over the last couple of months. He is an overachiever, he works extremely hard. He has a big passion for the game.”
Lelie insists he does, too. He wants to be a featured pass-catcher in somebody’s offense and is convinced he’ll never get that opportunity in Denver, where Rod Smith is entrenched and former Pro Bowl receiver Javon Walker, acquired in a draft-day trade with Green Bay, is expected to start on the other side. Lelie wasn’t pleased with the Broncos’ interest in Terrell Owens and declined to attend the club’s offseason conditioning program, forgoing a $100,000 contract incentive to work out instead in Tempe, Ariz. — with Walker, oddly enough.
When you’ve got a man coming back early from a serious car crash to practice, it makes crybaby contract holdouts seem even more petty. The bottom line is Lelie is under contract with the Broncos. That they’re looking elsewhere for a number one wideout is more an indication of his ability–or work ethic–than anything else. He should cowboy up and play better if he thinks he’s the #1 guy.
- NFL Trade: Lelie to Falcons, Duckett to ‘Skins, Pick to Broncos
- Oakland Raiders agree to 1-year deal with WR Ashley Lelie
- Cowboys Sign WR Terry Glenn to Contract Extension
- Javon Walker Traded to Broncos for a 2nd Round Pick
- Mike Shanahan to be next Washington Redskins coach
- Denver Broncos fire coach Mike Shanahan
- Broncos Trade 1st Rounder to 49ers for 2nd and 3rd
- Darrent Williams and Damien Nash Remembered
- Plummer’s Job Security Takes Another Big Hit!
- Cleveland Browns trade QB Brady Quinn to Denver
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed