Floyd Landis won the Tour de France on Sunday, keeping cycling’s most prestigious title in American hands for the eighth straight year.
And, no doubt, the French are so pleased.
This is really a remarkable story, given that Landis has trouble walking, yet just won the Tour de France–and that after making up a seeming insurmountable gap a few days ago (via SI):
“disaster” struck Wednesday in Stage 16 in the Alps.
Landis allowed Pereiro to take the yellow jersey as the race left the Pyrenees at the end of the second week to conserve energy for the three crucial stages in the Alps. That strategy seemed to backfire after Landis lost the jersey in a second Alpine stage at La Toussuire, dropping from first to 11th — 8 minutes, 8 seconds behind Pereiro.
Yet, Landis was able to make that up in one day and go on to win.
(x-posted at PoliBlog)
- Cyril Dessel Leads Tour de France
- Floyd Landis excuse
- Tour de France Winner Floyd Landis Flunks Drug Test
- Landis Stripped of Tour Title after Confirmation of Doping
- Basso, Ullrich out of Tour de France
- Levi Leipheimer wins Tour of California
- Landis May Keep Tour De France Title
- Pot shots- At least two Tour de France riders shot by BB gun during race
- The reign in Spain- Jenson Button wins Spanish Grand Prix
- Danica Patrick makes IndyCar history by winning Japan 300
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
- PoliBlog: A Rough Draft of my Thoughts linked with Landis Wins the Tour...
Comments are Closed