Rick Gosselin, a long time Pro Football Hall of Fame voter and 2004 inductee into the Hall as a sportwriter, thinks the current voting process snubs too many great players. He gives several examples, but this set is most impressive:
These players were NFL all-decade selections who went to five Pro Bowls apiece: linebackers Tommy Nobis and Joe Fortunato and cornerback Louis Wright.
These players were NFL all-decade selections who went to four Pro Bowls apiece: defensive tackle Alex Karras and Ed Sprinkle, fullback Alan Ameche and cornerback Jack Butler.
These men were NFL all-decade selections who went to three Pro Bowls apiece: guard Howard Mudd, linebacker Dave Robinson and safety Dick Anderson.
The Hall of Fame selection committee, by the way, picks the all-decade teams. If you’re considered one of the best players of your era, you ought to be considered one of the best players in NFL history.
But not a one of those players has ever been a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. All deserve to be discussed, but all are now in the seniors pool of candidates. Only two come out each year for consideration. It’s too late for most of them to have their Hall of Fame candidacies saved.
That’s quite bizarre, indeed. Several of them should be slam dunk Hall of Famers.
- Hall of Fame Wide Receivers a Dying Breed?
- Hall of Fame Numbers Don’t Add UP
- Hall of Fame No Sure Bet
- Bettis to Hall of Fame
- Gil Brandt on NFL Draft Philosophies
- NBA Needs Own Hall of Fame
- Irvin Makes the Hall of Fame
- 11 Dallas Cowboys Make Pro Bowl
- Broncos Trade 1st Rounder to 49ers for 2nd and 3rd
- Packers Get a Great Grade
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed