NEW YORK – Ryan Leli loves the Mets. The Suffolk County teenager loved the Mets so much that authorities say he posed as a reporter to get into Shea Stadium and talk with players.
Police arrested the 18-year-old Leli Friday night at Shea just before the start of the New York Mets- Colorado Rockies game and charged him with impersonating a journalist, the Queens District Attorney announced Saturday.
Prosecutors say Leli told New York Mets management that he worked for NBC Universal and showed a fake NBC employee identification card so he could get press credentials.
Leli first used the press pass to attend an Aug. 10 game between the Mets and the San Diego Padres. Authorities said Leli used the pass to approach and chat with players including Mike Piazza before and after that game.
Leli used the fake NBC identification again Friday to get another press pass for the Mets-Rockies game.
Mets management apparently became suspicious and contacted authorities.
Leli was also charged with criminal possession of a forged instrument, falsifying business records, larceny, criminal possession of stolen property, criminal impersonation and criminal trespass.
He was arraigned Saturday in Queens Criminal Court and released on his own recognizance.
Leli was scheduled to return to court on Sept. 27. He faces up to seven years in prison if he’s convicted.
Seven years would seem a little extreme for what Leli did. How much did this guy get for parachuting into Shea Stadium in 1986? A plane flying in restricted airspace was far more serious than what Leli did.
Oh and besides, I can name at least one long-time sportswriter who has been impersonating a reporter for years.
- New York Met ‘Sign Man’, Karl Ehrhardt, dead at 83
- NY Giants WR Plaxico Burress charged on 2 felony weapon counts
- Former Univ. of Toledo athlete admits point shaving role
- Chicago Blackhawks Forward Patrick Kane pleads guilty to disorderly charge
- NY Giant WR Plaxico Burress pleads guilty to felony charge
- Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy sues accuser, witness for defamation
- John Daly’s Wife Alleges He Assaulted Himself
- And if you think Randy Moss is screwed up . . .
- Swan Song- Yankee Stadium to host the 2008 All-Star game
- Cincinatti Bengals cut Chris Henry
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed