Yet again, Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was driving drunk and got into an altercation with the police. This time, he took three bullets.
Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was recovering after being shot near his upscale suburban house by an off-duty police officer following the player’s second run-in with law enforcement in 4 1/2 months.
Coach Marty Schottenheimer said the wounds were not life-threatening. “All we’re worried about is that he’s OK,” Schottenheimer said in a telephone interview with the AP.
Sheriff’s officials said the shooting occurred about 3:45 a.m. Sunday after the off-duty Coronado police officer followed a suspected drunken driver weaving in and out of freeway traffic at speeds up to 90 mph. Authorities said the driver nearly collided with several other vehicles. Foley, 30, stopped three times, sheriff’s officials said. During one of the stops, Lisa Maree Gaut, a passenger in the vehicle, yelled at the officer, authorities said.
The shooting occurred after Foley got out of the vehicle near his home in Poway, north of San Diego, and began walking toward the officer, sheriff’s officials said. Gaut got behind the wheel and drove next to Foley in the direction of the officer, the officials said. The officer identified himself, authorities said, and warned Foley he was armed. He fired a warning shot, at which point Gaut steered the car at the officer, sheriff’s officials said. “The officer fired two rounds at the vehicle,” sheriff’s Lt. Dennis Brugos said. “The male then came at the officer and put his right hand by his waistband and the officer fired at him.”
Foley was taken to an area hospital where he was recovering.
Sheriff’s officials wouldn’t say how many times Foley was shot or what, if any, charges will be filed against him.
He was arrested April 21 on charges of resisting arrest after police said he scuffled with officers. He also was booked on charges of battery on a police officer and public drunkenness.
Amazingly stupid behavior on the part of Foley, to say nothing of Gaut, if things transpired as the officer reports. He’s damned lucky the officer is either a really bad shot or a really, really good one.
- Chargers LB Steve Foley Out for Season after Police Shooting
- Jacksonville Jaguar OT Richard Collier shot
- Miami Dolphins DE Randy Starks charged with aggravated battery
- Two Washington Wizards players arrested on South Beach
- Police have no report of Carl Pavano’s auto accident
- Shaquille O’Neal chases down hit and run driver
- Chargers Fire Marty Schottenheimer After 14-2 Season
- Two New Orleans Saints charged with lewd conduct
- Slow speed chase- Miami Heat’s Carlos Arroyo arrested after traffic violation
- Charity Drag Racing Crash Kills Seven
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
- Â» Wine Outside the Beltway
- Chargers LB Steve Foley Out for Season after Police Shooting linked with OTB Sports
Comments are Closed