DMN columnist Matt Mosley reports that Dallas Cowboys punter Mat McBriar was “genuinely moved by the death of Steve ‘Crocodile Hunter’ Irwin.”
McBriar and Irwin were born in Victoria, near Melbourne. Every night before McBriar goes to bed (starting to feel weird about this sentence), he checks out a couple of Australian newspapers on the Internet. He said he was in shock when he read the news.
This led to a discussion of famous Australians. In McBriar’s mind, Irwin’s ahead of Greg Norman, Russell Crowe and Nicole Kidman.
Not since Paul “Crocodile Dundee” Hogan has there been an Aussie who so personified the island-continent’s self-image as Irwin. And, of course, Dundee was just a character. Irwin was real, and so was the danger he faced.
- Greg Norman Wedding Chris Evert
- Will the Globe and Mail’s Lorne Rubenstein please pick up the white courtesy phone
- Cowboys Punter McBriar On Record Pace
- Cowboys Sign McBriar to 5 Year, $8.5 Million Deal
- Diversity in golf?
- Just how often has Greg Norman come close to winning a major championship
- British Open after 36 holes- KJ Choi leads by one shot
- Erk Russell, Junkyard Dawg, Killed in Car Crash
- Paul Azinger names his four Ryder Cup Captain’s selections
- Verizon ends sponsorship of S. Carolina PGA Tour stop
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed