Vikings kicker Ryan Longwell threw a 16-yard TD pass to tie the game and then kicked the game-winning field goal in OT.
Ryan Longwell caught the pitch, rolled right, let the ball go and connected with Vikings tight end Richard Owens for the game-tying score. With Longwell’s three field goals and a clutch touchdown pass on a fake — plus a defense that forced nine punts — the Vikings showed again that they don’t need a flashy, high-flying offense to win.
Longwell’s 16-yard toss to Owens, his first career touchdown pass, tied the game in the fourth quarter. Then his 19-yard kick with 7:25 left in overtime Sunday gave the Vikings a 16-13 victory over the Carolina Panthers.
“Ten years in, I finally got one,” said Longwell, grinning broadly and gladly answering dozens of questions in the locker room. He also made field goals from 22 and 27 yards.
That special-teams trick by Minnesota (2-0) trumped the one used by Carolina (0-2), which had a 13-6 lead with 10 minutes left in regulation before coach John Fox called for a throwback pass by returner Chris Gamble that ended poorly for the struggling Panthers.
Bonus: He’s on my fantasy team, too!
- Backup power- Miami Dolphins beat Carolina Panthers 24-17
- Out of time- Chicago beats Minnesota 36-30
- The Saints keep marching in- New Orleans beats Carolina 30-20
- T.O. One and Done with Cowboys?
- Hawaii stays perfect, downs Washington 35-28
- Wide Receiver Brandon Marshall sets NFL catch record
- Terrell Owens First Practice With Dallas Cowboys
- Navy runs by Wake Forest 13-10
- Very Bad- New Orleans Saints blow out Oakland Raiders 45-7
- Where are my heart medications? Miami Dolphins beat Minnesota 14-10
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed