BANGKOK (Reuters) – Panamanian Celestino Caballero stripped naked on Tuesday to avoid missing out on a shot at the world title.
Caballero stunned reporters by removing his underwear at the weigh-in for his WBA super bantamweight fight with champion Somsak Sithchatchawal of Thailand.
The challenger’s bold move paid off when he safely made the weight limit of 55.3-kg (122 pounds) for Wednesday’s fight.
Thai media reports said last week that the 30-year-old Caballero was struggling to shed weight and had considered calling the fight off.
I’m sure the boxing officials could have done without Caballero’s show and tell. Still I agree with Caballero’s actions, why should a boxer’s clothing count towards his weight.
A new trend for boxing weigh-ins may have begun.
- Chico Corrales Killed in Motorcycle Crash
- Wladimir Klitschko retains WBO and IBF heavyweight belts
- Former Gold medalist James DeGale wins pro debut
- Olympic boxing weight classes reduced for 2012
- Coming to a theater near you- Mayweather-Marquez fight to be shown in cinemas
- No luck for the Irish- Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym wins WBA Super Bantamweight title
- Former Heavyweight Boxing Champion Greg Page dead at age 50
- Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao wins welterweight super-fight
- Joe Calzaghe: Boxing on the ropes
- Hall of Fame Boxing Referee and Judge Lou Filippo dead at 83
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed