Tommy Bowden was hit by a glass liquor bottle thrown from the stands Thursday night.
Clemson coach Tommy Bowden said Friday he was hit in the back of the head with a mini glass liquor bottle while standing on the sideline during Thursday night’s 24-7 loss to Virginia Tech at Lane Stadium. Wendell Flinchum, Virginia Tech’s interim chief of police, confirmed Friday a fan was ejected from the stadium for throwing objects at the Tigers coaching staff. Flinchum said the man wasn’t arrested and wouldn’t release the man’s identity.
Flinchum said he didn’t know whether the man was a Virginia Tech fan or Clemson fan and wasn’t completely sure the man ejected was the one who threw the bottle at Bowden. Fans are prohibited from bringing alcohol into Lane Stadium.
“Had I turned and had it hit me in the eye, it would have killed me,” Bowden said. “It was glass. That’s what scared me. Those plastic ones, it wouldn’t go that far.” Bowden said he gave the bottle to Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips, who was standing on the sideline. Bowden said officials made an announcement warning fans not to throw objects on the field. “I really was afraid after that because had I turned and been hit in the eye, I surely would have lost the eye,” Bowden said. “And then we lost the game. So it wasn’t a good night.”
The loss seriously damaged No. 10 Clemson’s hopes of an at-large berth in a Bowl Championship Series game and essentially left the Tigers (7-2, 4-2 ACC) two games behind Boston College in the ACC’s Atlantic Division. The Eagles are 3-1 in ACC play and have a tiebreaker over Clemson because of their 34-33 double-overtime win over the Tigers on Sept. 9.
Idiot liquored up fan. Perhaps a relative of Mike Vanderjagt?
- Tommy Bowden out as Clemson coach
- Bobby Bowden’s Swan Song- Florida State may get Gator Bowl invite
- Alabama-Clemson 2008 Georgia Dome Game
- Tennessee to name Derek Dooley its new head football coach
- Are you ready for some bowling? II
- Virginia Cavaliers fire Coach Al Groh
- Washington Nationals Wear Virginia Tech Baseball Caps
- NFL Draft 2010 â€“ Round 6 #3- Tampa Bay- P Brent Bowden
- Are you ready for some bowling?
- Bobby Bowden Not Quite Ready to Retire
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed