Tim Cowlishaw reports,
Mat McBriar’s gross punting average is now up to 51.8 yards per punt. For a frame of reference, that’s a full two yards better than Oakland’s former Aggie great Shane Lechler and four yards ahead of everybody else in the league.
The Cowboys’ season record is held by Sam Baker at 45.4 yards. Looks like a 44-year-old record may be toppled.
Better yet, as commenter Gary Lefko notes, McBriar’s on pace for an NFL single season record:
Highest Average, Punting, Season (Qualifiers)
51.40 Sammy Baugh, Washington, 1940 (35-1,799)
48.94 Yale Lary, Detroit, 1963 (35-1,713)
48.73 Sammy Baugh, Washington, 1941 (30-1,462)
Anybody out there know what happened to make punting averages drop so much in recent decades? I wasn’t even born in 1963 and almost all NFL records are much, much newer because athletes are so much better now. And this is the age of specialization–we haven’t had a regular quarterback-punter since Danny White’s heyday in the early 1980s.
- Cowboys Sign McBriar to 5 Year, $8.5 Million Deal
- Hall of Fame QB Slingin’ Sammy Baugh dead at 94
- Mat McBriar on Steve Irwin’s Death
- Former NFL Punter Tom Whittum dead at age 60
- Former Ole Miss QB and NFL punter Eagle Day dead at 75
- NFL Draft 2010 â€“ Round 6 #3- Tampa Bay- P Brent Bowden
- Sean Landeta Next Patriots Punter?
- Falcons’ Michael Koenen First Triple Threat Kicker Since ’82
- Pro Football Hall of Famer Bill Dudley dead at age 88
- Jason Witten in Pro Bowl, Replaces Jeremy Shockey
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed