From the Sun-Sentinel-
DAVIE Â· Sidelined Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper said Thursday the mending of his surgically repaired right knee is not going as smoothly as he had hoped and acknowledged that he may not play again until 2007.
“Right now, I’m at a point in my patella, I get a sharp pain when I’m trying to push off,” said Culpepper, who will miss his sixth straight game Sunday. “The strength is coming back better. I think the little sharp pain … if I can get past that point, I think I could be very explosive. But I also want to get to 100 percent so I can be effective and be a dominating player.”
Culpepper said he wants to play again this season but that he understands the risk could outweigh the reward.
“Of course I want to [play], but I’m going to be very smart about it,” said Culpepper, who is signed through the 2013 season. “I’d be disappointed, but at the same time I’ve got to keep my eye on the big picture. It’s really not about short term; it’s about long term.”
Culpepper, who owns the NFL record for combined passing and rushing yards in a season, said the pain doesn’t occur when he plants to throw, but rather when he begins to make a “quick move.”
“I don’t know if I have to have [more] surgery. I doubt that as of right now,” Culpepper said. “I think it’s more strengthening my quad.”
Did Nick Saban and the rest of the Dolphin coaching staff know how much Culpepper’s knee was troubling him? The more I read about Saban, the more I notice his stubborn streak. Once his mind is made up, he sticks to a decision and doesn’t like being second guessed even when things are going poorly. In TFM’s opinion, Saban did just that with Culpepper through the first four weeks of the season. The result is Miami went 1-3 against four teams with losing records.
Long-term I think Miami has just squandered money and a draft pick on Culpepper. His knee hasn’t healed in a year and I think this is a sign of how damaged it truly is. Duante’s effictiveness as a QB is very reliant on his mobility. With one very damaged knee I think Culpepper’s future career as an NFL starting QB is looking very doubtful. As do the Dolphins’s short-term prospects. This team needs to re-build, and quick fixes at QB are just not working. Where’s Jay Feeley these days?
- Daunte Culpepper’s surgery may end season
- Harrington Lions Starter, Culpepper Benched Indefinitely
- Daunte Culpepper placed on Injured Reserve
- Miami Dolphins Release Daunte Culpepper
- Daunte Culpepper follies
- NFL QB Daunte Culpepper announces his retirement
- QB Daunte Culpepper signs with the Oakland Raiders
- Vikings Trade Culpepper to Dolphins
- Are the Miami Dolphins about to cut Daunte Culpepper?
- Daunte Culpepper injures non-throwing hand in Automobile accident
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed