COLUMBUS, Ohio – Troy Smith’s Heisman Trophy was shipped home because airport security would not allow the Ohio State quarterback to take it on the plane Tuesday.
Smith wore a black leather jacket with the Heisman insignia on back when he arrived at the airport from New York, where he was presented college football’s most coveted trophy.
Eddie George, the last Buckeye to win the Heisman in 1995, had his trophy get stuck in an airport X-ray machine, losing the tip of its right index finger and bending the middle finger.
“We decided to have it shipped. That’s much easier. How times have changed. Eddie carried it on the plane and put it in the seat next to him,” sports information director Steve Snapp said.
Smith said he didn’t mind.
“No, because Eddie’s finger got bent,” Smith said. “I don’t want that to happen to mine.”
Don’t you feel safer when airport security protects us from a person whose picture was in every newspaper across the country, from carrying a large object onto an airplane? I mean exploding Heisman trophies packed with semtex are a definite national security threat.
- Eddie Sutton Retires, Replaced by Son, Sean
- SEC Too Good For Ohio State?
- Oops- Syracuse Univ. statue of Ernie Davis has him wearing Nikes
- Nevada boxing judge indicted for fraud
- New Jersey Nets ban gambling on team plane
- U of Michigan bans all bags at next Saturday’s game
- 2006 Draft Preview
- Dolphins add Pete Carroll as candidate
- Cowboys Plane Diverted, Coach Tony Ollison Possible Heart Attack
- Peavy Arrested by Mobile Airport Police
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed