Just about every team in the NBA was rumored to be interested in Allen Iverson before he was traded to the Denver Nuggets last week. The Mavericks got mentioned a few times simply because the Mavericks, based on their high profile owner and national cache, are becoming the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees of the NBA (“being mentioned in big deals is almost as important as being in the middle of big deals”). According to local reports, the Mavericks brain trust of Mark Cuban, Anthony Johnson, and Donnie Nelson spent less than five minutes discussing whether or not Iverson would be a good fit for the team. Their decision, obviously, was to not pursue any deal for the Sixers, now Nugget, guard.
This got me thinking of other decisions concerning the Mavericks that took less than five minutes to discuss. Here is the list:
Whether the team should send Bennett Salvatore a Christmas card?
After the retirement of Shawn Bradley and Keith Van Horn back to back, should the team be more tolerant of people from Utah.
Just how many assistant coaches do we have?
Whether the purchase of YouTube by Google was a wise deal? (Cuban wanted to discuss but Nelson and Johnson were not interested)
Extending the contract of MavsMan
If anyone would notice if the team tried to sell printed but never worn “NBA Champions” shirts in the gift shop?
Piping lost episodes of the The Benefactor into the visiting locker room.
Developing a new stat that correlates the number of head shots of Cuban during games with the success on the court. (Does Cuban get more airtime when the Mavs are winning or when they are losing?)
Determining how to start 0-4 in the playoffs and then win the next 12 games. Just like they started the season.
Making a trade of George (Devean)-Washington (Darius, preseason free agent) for Thomas (Tim) and Jefferson (Richard).
Letting Terrell Owens try out for the team after the NFL season.
- Mark Cuban: Pittsburgh Penguins Owner?
- Iverson Traded to Nuggets for Joe Smith and Two #1s
- 76ers to Trade Allen Iverson
- Mark Cuban’s Colonoscopy
- We blew it- NBA admits referees errored in Denver-Dallas game
- Mavericks and NBA Christmas Wish List
- Austin Croshere – Scoring Machine
- Cowboys Sign QB Brad Johnson to Three-Year Deal
- Blizzard May Keep AI from Denver
- Mavs’ Johnson Tricks Duncan and Spurs
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed