The Birmingham News reports that the Alabama job is Rich Rodriguez’ if he wants it.
If West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez wants the Alabama head football coaching job, UA officials were prepared to offer it to him, three sources close to the search said Tuesday.
ESPN is reporting that things are not quite that close.
West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez termed his meeting Tuesday with Alabama athletic director Mal Moore in New York as “informal” and tried to lower expectations that anything substantive occurred. However, Alabama will make a decision whether to offer Rodriguez the job within the next 72 hours, a source with knowledge of the discussion told ESPN.com’s Ivan Maisel Tuesday night.
My hope is that Maisel is right. Rodriguez is likely a good hire: A proven coach with more experience than anyone hired by the Tide since Gene Stallings. Still, the school should at least take the opportunity to interview two or three candidates to be sure they’re getting the right guy. There’s no real rush here, as the only other comparable opening right now is the Miami gig. Unless they’re both bidding for the same guy, they should take their time.
- Rich Rodriguez Offered Alabama Job
- Tide Hires Rich Rodriguez
- Rodriguez staying at WVU
- Bear Bryant on the Alabama Coaching Search
- Bama Taking Time in Coaching Search
- Alabama Coaching Search Kicks into High Gear
- Saban Out as Alabama Candidate
- Jimbo Fisher to Join Saban at Alabama?
- NC State Hires BC’s Tom O’Brien
- Candidates for Alabama Football Coach
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed