T.O. has gotten a slap on the wrist for spitting in D’Angelo Hall’s face.
Terrell Owens was fined $35,000 by the NFL on Monday for spitting in the face of Atlanta’s D’Angelo Hall during Saturday night’s Cowboys-Falcons game. The flamboyant Dallas receiver was not suspended.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello announced the fine, which came after Hall knocked Owens out of bounds on a pass play during Dallas’ 38-28 win.
The incident was not detected by game officials and there was no penalty. He would have been ejected from the game under NFL rules. Hall said that, as he ran to the sideline, he told the officials Owens had spit on him, but was apprised that no one had seen it.
Owens apologized for the incident in an interview after Saturday’s game.
According to a report on the Fort Worth Star-Telegram’s Web site, Owens now says that he doesn’t recall spitting in Hall’s face and accused Hall of blowing the incident out of proportion to deflect attention from his bad day in coverage.
Hall had called for the NFL to suspend Owens. “I think, for what he did, he deserves more than a fine,” Hall said on Sunday. “The guy has all the money in the world. He’s making $10 million or whatever this year. So what’s a fine going to mean to him, really? What he did, it was [vulgar], you know? But he’s a great player, a great competitor, and what would hurt him a lot more than a fine is making him sit. That would get his attention. And that’s what I think the league should do. They need to do something pretty [severe], because there’s something wrong with him, and he just can’t get away with this kind of stuff.”
Hall’s right that $35,000 is a meaningless penalty for someone in Owens’ financial situation. On the other hand, it’s pretty steep for an action that was not caught by game officials or television cameras.
That said, Owens has continued to embarrass himself and Cowboys fans with his childish shenanigans. This is inexcusable behavior for a professional athlete, let alone a veteran of his stature.
- Terrell Owens Spits on DeAngelo Hall
- T.O. – Hall Feud Over After Three-Way with Deion Sanders
- Tank Johnson Suspended One Game
- Dallas Stars Steve Ott suspended for eye goguing
- NHL suspends Michael Peca for bumping ref
- Terrell Owens Breaks Finger, Out 2-4 Weeks
- Shuffle off to Buffalo- WR Terrell Owens has a new home
- Terrell Owens Playing with Torn Tendon on Right Hand
- NHL hands Steve Ott three-game suspension for hit to Jordan Leopold
- Cops Demand Apology from T.O.
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed