ESPN taking over Monday Night Football hasn’t brought with it drastic, annoying changes. It’s not like MTV took over and turned it into a reality show. What change that did occur has been a focus on football. There’s no T.O.-Nicollete Sheridan towel incident, and there’s no Hank Williams, Jr. asking me if “I’m ready for some football.” I watch MNF for the game, not to take part in a pop culture experience.
But goofiness isn’t gone. There is an annoyance. My thoughts go back to halftime. Tom Jackson is a good football analyst. He offers plenty of perspective as a former player while not sounding like a full-of-it ex-player (I’m looking at you Michael Irvin). But what’s with his “Jacked Up!” segment? I like watching big hits, but I don’t need to hear the rest of the ESPN halftime crew chanting “JACKED UP!” They sound like drunks at a sports bar. Keep the segment’s name, keep the close ups of the bone-crunching hits, just get rid the caveman chanting.
[Cross-posted to The American Mind.]
- Michael Irvin Apologizes for Racial Jokes about Tony Romo
- Keyshawn Johnson Cut by Carolina Panthers
- Peter Gammons Has Brain Surgery
- ESPN and the sports headline of the year
- How dumb is Sports Illustrated?
- Irvin Makes the Hall of Fame
- Former MLB Catcher John Marzano dead at 45
- Jewish NY Jet fans unhappy about 2009 NFL schedule
- Wisconsin On Suicide Watch
- LA Clipper announcers suspended for one game
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed