AfterÂ being speculated and reported for weeks now, Keith Foulke has signed with the Cleveland Indians
The free agent reliever finalized a $5 million, one-year contract with the club Thursday, a deal both sides hope turns into a longer partnership. Foulke’s deal includes about $2 million in performance bonuses and a mutual option for 2008.
Back in 2004 I loved the toughness that Foulke brought to the mound. He obviously does not have overpowering stuff, but he just found a way to get people out, and sometimes in a dominating fashion.
Since that magical run in October of 2004, his performance has been just awful and his attitude has been worse. I will agree that Boston isÂ a tough place to play, but his action and commentsÂ did not make it easier to accept his poor performance.
The Indians (Borowskie, Hernandez,Â Foulke)Â like the Red Sox (Donnelly, Romero, Hernadez, Pineiro) are signing a lot of cast off pichersÂ and hoping enoughÂ are able to regain their past form or become a hidden gem.
Loretta, who played briefly with Houston in 2002, signed a one-year deal worth $2.5 million, but the contract could be worth as much as $3.5 million if incentives are met.
According to Loretta’s agent, Bob Garber, Loretta had an offer from the Rangers worth $1 million more. The Reds also made an offer, but Loretta picked Houston, partly because of an aggressive recruiting job by Roy Oswalt and Brad Ausmus. Oswalt put the bug in club owner Drayton McLane’s ear, and Ausmus gave his best pitch while working out with Loretta in San Diego, where both reside during the offseason.
I had only seen Loretta playÂ here and there prior to last season since he played in a time zone that is does coorperate with my east-coastÂ bed time. From my limited exposure heÂ seemed like the prototypical #2 hitter and a consummate professional. After watching him for a full season myÂ feels were confirmed.Â I think the Astros are getting a true “baseball player”. His efforts and contributions will be missed by me, but I do think it is timeÂ for Dustin Pedroia to get a chance.
- Astros Sign Oswalt to 5-year, $73 million extension
- Loretta to sign with Astros
- Houston Astros Reliever Wesley Wright treated for dehydration, released
- Woody Williams released by Houston, plans to retire
- Brad Mills is next Houston Astro Manager
- Keith Foulke to Hang ‘Em Up
- Miguel Tejada signs 1-year contract with Baltimore Orioles
- The 2007 Indians Bullpen
- MLB Infielder Mark Loretta announces his retirement
- Mulder Returns to St. Louis
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed