Rugby is still an obscure sport for most in the country, relegated to a side show status at most parks played purely by amateurs and retired professional players. In the college ranks rarely do the teams get school support as an athletic program (usually because of insurance costs and Title IX compliance) however; the Cal Bears are one of the lone exceptions. This year marks the beginning of the teams 125th season and the quest for a 23rd National Title, in the past 24 years Cal has posted a 391-64-5 record and 18 national championships.
Of course in 2001 Cal was involved one of the most embarrassing moments in rugby when Stanford University forfeited to Cal because the team was “very afraid to get injuredâ€. Committing the cardinal sin of rugby led to Stanfordâ€™s demotion to Division 2 (where they promptly won a national title) as well as being the laughing stock of the entire rugby community.
If youâ€™re interested in an opportunity on US soil to see world-class rugby being played at the USA Sevens Tournament in San Diego on February 10-11th is a perfect opportunity.
- Collegiate Rugby National Championship Brackets
- College Rugby National Champions
- College Rugby Results
- Former Olympic swin coach Richard Quick dead at 66
- Jim O’Brien Wins $2.2 Million from Ohio State
- Jim Harbaugh Hired as Stanford Head Coach
- Jet carrying Russian professional hockey team crashes
- IOC recommends Golf and Rugby for 2016 games
- Miami Fires Larry Coker
- Yale head football Coach Jack Siedlecki retires
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed