Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones is keeping us in suspense a little longer on the coaching search, saying he won’t announce a selection until after Sunday’s Super Bowl and hinting that he might continue to interview candidates.
DMN’s Calvin Watkins reports that “Jones said he hasn’t ruled out any of the eight candidates he’s interviewed for the position, vacated when Bill Parcells retired last week.”
“Bill’s leaving was a surprise,” Jones said in the lobby of the Cowboys’ Valley Ranch headquarters. “But as it should be, I have things in my desk drawer and things in my back pocket that should prepare you in case somebody gets hit by a car so to speak.”
“I’m very pleased with what we’ve done,” Jones said. “The work we’re doing, the time that I’m spending with these candidates is as it should be. We got a good football team and I’ve got to get this right. We’ve got to make a good decision when we select the next coach.”
“I feel very good,” Jones said of the process. “We spent a lot of time, and I know our fans expect me to. We spent a lot of time in each interview. I’ve been very thorough and they’ve been very thorough with me. I like good feed back when I’m talking to an individual about where he’s been and where he’s going.”
Speculation centers on Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and Indianapolis Colts quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell, neither of whom would be available for interviews until after the big game.
Norv Turner, who is still considered by Dallas beat writers to be the odds-on favorite for the job, reportedly told Jones he would love to hire Rivera, whose contract is expiring, away from the Bears to serve as his coordinator. For his part, Rivera has openly acknowledged he would love to be considered for the Cowboys head coaching gig.
At this point, it makes sense for Jones to take a few days and explore his options. There are no other head coaching vacancies and the long delays have already led to the bolting of most of Bill Parcells’ assistants to other teams.
- Cowboys to Interview Rivera, Caldwell Not Interested?
- Chargers Hire Norv Turner as Head Coach
- Cowboys Interviewing Mike Singletary
- Cowboys to Interview Bears’ Rivera, Colts’ Caldwell
- Cowboys Coaching Search: Hiring Staff Before Head Coach?
- Dallas Cowboys Next Head Coach
- Bill Parcells Retires With Job Undone
- Why Wade Phillips?
- Wade Phillips Still in Running for the Cowboys Job
- Tony Sparano Plays Waiting Game
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed