The Dallas Cowboys lost 21-20 to the Seattle Seahawks in one of the most exciting, most bizarre football games I have seen in nearly thirty years of watching the game.
Dallas was leading 20-13 late in the 4th quarter when Seattle mounted a drive that looked to end in a sure touchdown. The defense stopped the Seahawks on the goal line when Holmgren decided to go for it on 4th down rather than attempt a short field goal.
The Cowboys threw a pass to the sure-handed Terry Glenn on the next play and he proceeded to fumble it. Seattle recovered and was ruled to have a touchdown. A Cowboys challenge led to a booth review and a correct call that the Seattle defender was out of bounds, making the recovery invalid, and thus only a safety.
Seattle then got the ball back in good field position on the ensuing free kick and drove for a quick touchdown, bringing the score to 21-20. They tried and failed the 2 point conversion.
Dallas got the ball back with over three minutes left on the clock and marched down the field, running the clock down to a little over a minute and forcing Seattle to burn its timeouts. On 3rd down from inside the Seattle 20, they went for a gutsy tight end pass that was ruling a 1st down and goal to go from the 1. An official review, though, gave Dallas a lousy spot and forced them to go for a chip shot field goal.
Inexplicably, the Cowboys botched the snap and quarterback Tony Romo recovered and scampered toward the goal line, seemingly getting the first down. The spot was short, though, and Seattle recovered on downs.
Seattle ran the clock down and punted with 8 seconds left on the clock. The Cowboys got the ball with 2 seconds left on their own 52, well outside Martin Gramatica’s field goal range. A failed Hail Mary later, and the game was over.
I’m not sure what’s worse: Losing a playoff game because of a bad overturn call on a spot late in the game or botching a gimme field goal. Either way, the result is the same: Eight months until the next game that counts.
- Cowboys Defeat Seahawks (in Meaningless Exhibition Game)
- Did Saban Run Up the Score?
- Stronger Kickers Changing Game Strategy
- Dallas – Cleveland Draft Day Trade – Round 2
- Cowboys Win Wild Game Despite Six Romo Turnovers
- Second Chance- Detroit Lions beat Cleveland 38-37
- Out of luck- Northwestern beats Iowa 17-10
- Cowboys Lose Opener 17-24 to Jaguars
- Steelers, Jaguars in Defensive Slugfest
- Asleep at the switch- Rich Gannon and Kevin Harlan miss Ted Ginn TD punt return
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed