“New Alabama football coach Nick Saban has offered Miami Dolphins quarterbacks coach Jason Garrett a job as the Crimson Tide’s offensive coordinator, a source with knowledge of the process said Wednesday,” reports Ian Rapoport of the Birmingham News.
An interesting move and one that makes sense. Garrett is a very smart guy (a Princeton grad) and brings instant credibility after a long career as an NFL backup quarterback, mostly with the Dallas Cowboys. And he obviously has a good working relationship with Saban, if he’s bringing him on from his staff at Miami. The move might not happen, though, as “Garrett may be a candidate for the Cleveland Browns’ offensive coordinator position, though the Dolphins have yet to grant the Browns permission to interview him.”
Rapoport notes other staff moves as well:
- Former Houston Texans coaches Joe Pendry and Steve Marshall have been hired. “Pendry has been a coordinator for three NFL teams, but his position at UA was not clear. He could be offensive co-coordinator with Garrett, or he could coach quarterbacks. Marshall, a former offensive coordinator at Texas A&M and North Carolina, will coach the offensive line.”
- Current Tampa Bay assistant, former Auburn star, and 10-year NFL vet Ron Middleton has been offered the job of tight ends/special teams coach
This in addition to previously announced moves: “Kevin Steele, Kirby Smart, and Lance Thompson. None of their positions was identified, but Steele is believed to be the defensive coordinator, Smart will coach defensive backs, and Thompson’s position was unclear.”
And, quite interesting non-moves: “Two Miami Dolphins coaches who received job offers from Saban – running backs coach Bobby Williams and outside linebackers coach Travis Jones – have turned Saban down, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported Wednesday.”
- Saban Alabama Coaching Staff Complete
- Saban Continues Building Staff: Fisher Out, Applewhite In?
- Jimbo Fisher to Join Saban at Alabama?
- Cowboys Coaching Search: Hiring Staff Before Head Coach?
- Jason Garrett a Wanted Man
- Wade Phillips Gets to Work on Assembling Staff
- Cowboys Hire Ray Sherman, John Garrett
- Who will the Miami Dolphins hire as their new coach?
- Cowboys Finalizing Coaching Staff
- Cowboys to Interview Rivera, Caldwell Not Interested?
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed