Apparently, an Sports Illustrated report came out saying that sources within the Steelers organization were indicating that Mike Tomlin, Vikings defensive coordinator, was about to be hired as the next Steelers head coach. However, the Steelers, Mike Tomlin, Russ Grimm, and everyone else has indicated that this is not the case.
Steelers chairman Dan Rooney today denied a Sports Illustrated story that said the team had chosen Mike Tomlin as its head coach.
“There’s nothing to that story on the wire,” Mr. Rooney said of the account that appeared earlier today on SI.com.
Other sources, most unwilling to go on the record, also denied there was any truth to the story. Mr. Tomlin, the defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings, denied it publicly.
“It is untrue,” Mr. Tomlin told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen. “I have no idea where it’s coming from. I have not talked to the Rooneys today.”
A source close to Russ Grimm said yesterday afternoon that he had heard nothing from the Steelers. Mr. Grimm, the team’s offensive line coach and assistant head coach, is one of three finalists for the job.
The other finalist, Ron Rivera, was unavailable for comment due to his being involved in the Bears playoff game. In any event, this report is being denied by everyone. While it wouldn’t surprise me if the Steelers are leaning in that direction, this is one of those coaching rumors that was quickly refuted, indicating to me that the Steelers aren’t ready for their announcement yet, and also indicating that they do not want the name of their favorite candidate out in the media yet, unlike the Cowher rumors, which after a certain point, weren’t denied any more.
UPDATE: ESPN retracts their story that the Steelers are NOT hiring Tomlin. (via Steelers Fanhouse)
Interesting. The more we hear, the more I tend to think that where there’s smoke, there’s fire. I’m not sure if we’re going to hear soon, though – maybe Monday, maybe later.
- Where There’s Smoke, There is Fire – Steelers hire Tomlin as new Head Coach
- Steelers Finalist List
- Reaction to the Tomlin Hire
- Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Sorry for Raunchy E-Mail
- Steelers Want Bill Cowher Decision TODAY
- Steelers for sale
- Report says Miami Dolphins offered coaching job to Tony Sparano
- San Francisco 49ers fire coach Mike Nolan
- Cowboys Coaching Search: Hiring Staff Before Head Coach?
- Former NFL Defensive End Dwight White dead at 58
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed