My latest for TCS Daily, “Crimson with Envy: Why Nick Saban Makes More Than Your Kid’s Teacher,” is posted. It was sparked by the USA Today headline “Alabama: 45th in helping kids, No. 1 in paying coach” and other criticisms of the eight year, $32 million salary my alma mater paid to lure Saban away from the NFL’s Miami Dolphins.
While the juxtaposition of low performance in education with enormous spending on athletics at institutions of higher learning makes for great headlines, it is a ridiculous apples to oranges comparison. The money comes from different sources, based on entirely different market forces that are hardly zero sum.
Saban’s salary simply has no bearing whatever on what college presidents or CEOs are paid, much less how education is funded. His paycheck will come entirely from the University’s $68.6 million athletic budget, which is derived from ticket sales and licensing agreements rather than taxes.
If Saban is able to return the Crimson Tide to its former glory, he’ll more than pay for himself. Between July 1, 2005, and June 30, 2006, the football team alone brought in more than $44 million. Indeed, football at successful programs like Alabama’s not only pays for itself, it helps pay for all the other sports programs on campus and pours millions into the school’s academic scholarship funds.
More at the link.
Trackposted to Is It Just Me?, Perri Nelson’s Website, Mark My Words, The Random Yak, Don Surber, Adam’s Blog, basil’s blog, DragonLady’s World, Mensa Barbie Welcomes You, Conservative Cat, Jo’s Cafe, Pursuing Holiness, Wake Up America, Rightwing Guy, Faultline USA, third world county, stikNstein… has no mercy, The Crazy Rants of Samantha Burns, Blue Star Chronicles, Pirate’s Cove, Renaissance Blogger, Planck’s Constant, The Pink Flamingo, Dumb Ox News, High Desert Wanderer, and Right Voices, thanks to Linkfest Haven Deluxe.
- Alabama gives Nick Saban a contract extension through 2017
- Alabama Offering Nick Saban 7 Year, $40 Million Deal
- Did Nick Saban really reject a 50 millon dollar offer from Alabama?
- Nick Saban- Still full of it
- Alabama’s Saban Courtship About to Heat Up Again
- Alabama’s Pursuit of Saban Continues
- Super Bowl Predictions
- Florida International University hires Isiah Thomas
- Alabama 2008 Recruiting Class
- Alabama Rolls Over Clemson, 34-10
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
- Pirateâ€™s Cove Â» >>Americans Never Quit
- The Crazy Rants of Samantha Burns
- third world county
- Fide et Fortudine linked with Blue Star Chronicles
- Perri Nelson's Website
- DragonLadyâ€™s World
- Right Voices
- Basil's Blog
- Pursuing Holiness - Donâ€™t walk! RUN!
- Joâ€™s Cafe
- The Random Yak
- Straight Dope Message Board - Next Time You Hear Teachers, Politicians & Other Government Employees Are Underpaid
Comments are Closed