The Dallas Cowboys have added Dat Nguyen, their former star linebacker, to the staff as an assistant linebackers/defensive quality control coach yesterday. He will replace Parcells holdover Vincent Brown, who was only on the staff one year.
They also brought on new head coach Wade Phillips’ son, who was Baylor’s quarterbacks coach last year, as an offensive quality control coach. He was scheduled to interview for positions with the Chargers and Browns. The senior Phillips is not concerned about the appearance of nepotism, Nick Eatman reports.
Wade Phillips said he always remembered the feeling when his father, Bum, added him to his staff with the Houston Oilers. “He said, ‘I’m not going to punish him because he’s my son,’” Wade Phillips recalled. “If he’s a good enough coach, he deserves to be looked at. And he’s ready.
“I’m very proud of him as a son, but I’ve really proud of him as a coach.”
Wesley Phillips, a former quarterback at UTEP, seemed excited about the opportunity to not only work in the NFL, but to follow in similar footsteps his father took. “I didn’t know if I’d ever get a chance to work with him,” Wesley said. “He’s been in the NFL my whole life. I certainly always hoped it would happen. I know he’s always talked about working with his dad in Houston and New Orleans and it was always something I looked forward to.”
Wade Phillips said his father didn’t worry what the other coaches thought when he was brought on board with the Oilers. And he said he didn’t think adding Wesley would be a problem either. “If they know me well enough, I think they’ll think the same thing they thought about my dad,” Phillips said. “He wasn’t going to hire someone who wasn’t going to do the job. He’s a team guy. And that’s what I am. And I’m not going to hire someone who can’t do the job for us. And I think once people know me, they’ll realize that.”
I suspect Wes is ready. Then again, I’m not really sure what a “quality control” coach does.
- Cowboys Finalizing Coaching Staff
- Cowboys Denied Talks with Chargers Assistants
- Cowboys Hire Wilson and Read to Coaching Staff
- Wade Phillips Gets to Work on Assembling Staff
- Wade Phillips a People Person
- JJT Nails it Again (Dallas Cowboys)
- Why Wade Phillips?
- Wade Phillips Still in Running for the Cowboys Job
- Wade Phillips Top Choice to Replace Parcells?
- Carolina Panther Dante Wesley receives one game suspension
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed