The Mavericks are the only NBA team to use a free throw shooting coach. Gary Boren, an investment banker from Dallas, has helped, with a nod to deceased hoops coach Denny Price, the Mavs maintain a steady success rate at the free throw line. This year, the Mavericks are shooting close to 80 percent from the line.
I thought this quote was telling.
â€œWhatâ€™s amazing is, these guys have seen miles of film running up and down the court and the coaches are yelling at them, but not one in a hundred has been filmed standing still shooting a free throw,â€ Boren said.
I can attest to this as a college player whose coach would fast forward the videotape through the free throw sequences.
We make fun of all of the Mavericks assistant coaches but in this case you cannot argue with the results.
- Mavs’ Johnson Tricks Duncan and Spurs
- Mavericks and NBA Christmas Wish List
- Its Good To Be Shaq, Not Horry
- Less Than Five Minutes with Cuban, Johnson, and Nelson
- On KU vs. Memphis
- Record rout- Dallas annihilates New York 128-78
- Parcells for Wade Change: So Far, So Good
- The Mavericks: Great Team, Second Fiddle
- Wade Phillips Gets to Work on Assembling Staff
- Why Hasn’t Free Throw Shooting Improved?
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed