Michael Irvin wrapped his arms around Thurman Thomas in the kind of hug that new Hall of Famers share. Somewhere, Paul Tagliabue could only envy their emotional display.
Irvin finished his career with 750 receptions for 11,904 yards and 65 touchdowns. He was selected to five straight Pro Bowls and picked for the NFL’s all-decade team of the 1990s.
Irvin and Thomas were joined by Bruce Matthews, Roger Wehrli, Charlie Sanders and Gene Hickerson.
Also failing to get enough votes were Art Monk, Derrick Thomas, Andre Reed, Richard Dent, Bob Kuechenberg, Fred Dean, Ray Guy, Russ Grimm, Andre Tippett and Gary Zimmerman.
Inductions will be Aug. 4-5 in Canton, Ohio. The Steelers and Saints will play in the annual Hall of Fame game.
Of those on the list of inductees I am unfamiliar with Wehrli, Sanders and Hickerson.
I think Irvin clearly deserved entry and I suspect that Tagliabue will get in soon.
[Cross-posted at Poliblog: Deportes]
- 2006 Pro Football Hall of Fame Semi-Finalists
- Andre Reed Joins Bills Wall of Fame
- Hall of Fame Wide Receivers a Dying Breed?
- T.O. – Hall Feud Over After Three-Way with Deion Sanders
- Hall of Fame Numbers Don’t Add UP
- Mike Tomlin NOT Hired as Next Steelers Head Coach Tonight
- Michael Irvin Hall of Fame Induction
- Reaction to the Tomlin Hire
- Steelers Kicker Jeff Reed D*ck Photos
- Dale Earnhardt Posthumously Enters Hall of Fame
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed