UNC’s mascott was struck by a car and killed.
Jason Ray, a North Carolina student who performed as a mascot for the school’s basketball team, died three days after being struck by a car hours before an NCAA Tournament game. He was 21.
Ray died Monday morning, said Steve Kirschner, the university’s associate athletic director for communications.
An NCAA official told ESPN.com that the men’s basketball tournament selection committee is discussing with the four Final Four teams to determine how they will memoralize Ray’s death prior to Saturday’s national semifinals.
Ray had been in critical condition at Hackensack University Medical Center since the accident Friday afternoon. He was hit from behind while walking on a highway shoulder near his Fort Lee hotel after going to a nearby convenience store.
Ray performed as UNC’s ram mascot, Rameses. He was scheduled to graduate in May with a major in business administration and a minor in religion. He was in New Jersey for the men’s game between North Carolina and Southern California.
Emmitt Ray said his son “absolutely loved” dressing up as Rameses, despite the costume’s bulk.
“It was his way of supporting the team,” the father told The Star-Ledger of Newark. “There are things you just can’t explain. He wasn’t doing anything he wasn’t supposed to be doing. He was 200 yards from the hotel.”
No charges have been filed against the driver of the sport utility vehicle. Police said the driver stopped immediately to try to help Ray and called 911. Police also said the driver had a valid driver’s license and did not appear to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- North Carolina Student Mascot Dies
- Maggie Dixon, Army Basketball Coach, Dies at 28
- East Carolina hires Jeff Lebo to be its next basketball coach
- No return- Georgia Tech beats North Carolina 62-58
- North Dakota to sue NCAA over nickname
- San Diego St. Arena Evacuated Over Bomb Scare
- LSU Women’s Basketball Coach Resigns
- Former Texas A&M Basketball player Kevin Widemond dead at 23
- CalTech Basketball Wins A Game
- NCAA Nicknames
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed