This news comes the day after Houston traded for Atlanta backup QB Matt Schaub.
HOUSTON – The Houston Texans waived quarterback David Carr, the first draft pick in franchise history five years ago, and running back Domanick Williams.
The Texans never have had a winning record, and Carr often was the scapegoat. He completed 60 percent of his passes, but also threw 65 interceptions and was sacked 249 times in five seasons.
Houston hoped Carr would flourish under new coach Gary Kubiak last season, but the Texans went 6-10.
Williams, formerly Domanick Davis, is Houston’s career rushing leader with 3,195 yards. He spent all of last season on injured reserve with a knee injury.
Also Friday, the Texans re-signed former Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne, who joined the Texans just before last season and blossomed late in the year, rushing for 429 yards and five touchdowns in December.
The Texans released Carr a day after signing Matt Schaub and saying he would be their starting quarterback. General manager Rick Smith said Thursday the team was trying to trade Carr, who had two years left on a contract that was to pay him $11.5 million for those seasons.
I think Carr still has some potential. The Texans have been a terrible franchise and that can drag down good players. Vinny Testaverde did well after getting away from Tampa Bay, on the other hand Joey Harrington disappointed in Miami after doing the same for Detroit.
Plus is Schaub really that good? His stats don’t tell us much.
Miami may be interested in Carr, except for his contract. Has that changed now that the QB has been released? The Dolphins are also supposedly interested in Kansas City’s Trent Green. I don’t know, but if I had a choice I’d sign Carr.
Culpepper will supposedly be ready for next season. Then we heard that about 2006 too. Also Sports Illustrated is reporting the Raiders are interested in Culpepper. Something about getting him without any compensation. Sounds like someone is smoking grass to me.
All of this is guesswork. The grass always looks greener…when its on the other side of the street.
- Domanick Davis Changes Name to Domanick Williams
- Kubiak: Domanick Davis Not Being Cut
- Weekly Miami Dolphins prediction
- Domanick Davis Put on IR, Will Miss Entire 2006 Season
- Texans Whiff Chosing Williams over Bush
- Weekly Miami Dolphins Prediction
- Those pathetic 0-4 Miami Dolphins
- 2008 NFL Mock Draft
- NFL QB Daunte Culpepper announces his retirement
- Backup power- Miami Dolphins beat Carolina Panthers 24-17
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed