Kevin Mitchell, who played linebacker in the NFL from 1994-2003, has died.
Former NFL linebacker Kevin Mitchell died in his sleep at the age of 36.
Mitchell died overnight Sunday at his home in Ashburn [Virginia], near the Washington Redskins’ training facility, according to the team. An autopsy was performed Monday by the Virginia state medical examiner’s office. The cause of death was not immediately announced.
Mitchell was drafted in the second round out of Syracuse in 1994 by the San Francisco 49ers, who moved the undersized college defensive lineman to linebacker. He played with San Francisco until 1997, then signed with New Orleans (1998-99). He played his final four seasons (2000-03) with the Redskins.
“Anyone who knew him was touched by his smile, joy for life and love of his family,” Washington owner Dan Snyder said. “Anyone who ever played with him or against him never forgot it. He earned our deepest respect.”
- Former NFL Defensive Lineman Perry Brooks dead at 55
- Jason Taylor re-signs with the Miami Dolphins
- Former NFL LB Mel Kaufman dead at age 50
- Albert Haynesworth gets 7-yr, $100M deal from Washington Redskins
- Former NFL Defensive lineman Pio Sagapolutele dead at age 39
- Washington Redskins release DE Jason Taylor
- Frank Cornish, Cowboys Super Bowl Lineman, Dies at 40
- Pro Football Hall of Famer Bill Dudley dead at age 88
- Former Miami Dolphin Defensive Lineman T.J. Turner dead at 46
- 2006 Pro Football Hall of Fame Semi-Finalists
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed