The Houston Texas have selected Louisville defensive tackle Amobi Okoye with the 10th pick in the 2007 NFL draft. He was born June 10, 1987, making him only 19 years old. He is, according to ESPN’s Chris Berman, “by far” the youngest player ever drafted.
What the Experts Say:
- Rick Gosselin’s Final Ranking: 21st overall
- Mel Kiper Final Ranking: 8th overall
- Scout.com Final Ranking: 15th Overall
Player Evaluation: A developing player with great upside, Okoyeâ€™s game has taken off the past two years. Looked sensational in the Senior Bowl and saw his draft grade soar. Offers potential as a two-gap end or possibly as a three-technique lineman. May need time to adjust to the level of competition in the NFL, yet he is a bright, hard-working individual who should have a long and productive football career.
STRENGTHS: Explosion, Intensity/Effort, Techniques and Moves
AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT: Disengaging Skills, Size
Biography: Two-year starter awarded All-Conference honors as a senior after posting 55/12.5/8. Junior totals included 23 tackles. Entered college at age 16 and will be just 19 years old when he is drafted.
Pos: Explosive defender with terrific instincts. Quick off the snap, plays with good pad level and gets a lot of force going up the field. Makes plays laterally, effectively uses hand technique to protect himself and rarely is off his feet. Chases hard to get involved in the action and makes plays everywhere on the field.
Neg: Lacks top playing strength, is slow getting off the blocks and can be handled at the point.
The Texans had a more pressing need at corner and both of the top two were still on the board at the No. 10 pick. Either Darrelle Revis or Leon Hall would be great values at this pick and fill a more pressing need. That has to be noted but Okoye is still an excellent pick and the reason is great defenses are built from the inside out.
Okoye has excellent initial quickness, good strength and the frame to comfortably add weight. He can get after the passer and disrupt running plays in the backfield. In addition, defensive tackle is also a need and Okoye should compete for a starting role.
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #13 – St. Louis Rams – DE Adam Carriker
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #30 – San Diego Chargers – WR Craig Davis
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #23 – Kansas City Chiefs – WR Dwayne Bowe
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #6 – Washington Redskins – S LaRon Landry
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #29 – Baltimore Ravens – OG Ben Grubbs
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #16 – Green Bay Packers – DT Justin Harrell
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #4 – Tampa Bay Buccaners – DE Gaines Adams
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #22 – Cleveland Browns – QB Brady Quinn
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #24 – New England Patriots – S Brandon Meriweather
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #27 – New Orleans Saints – WR Robert Meachem
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
- NFL Draft 2007 - Round 1 #9 - Miami Dolphins - WR Ted Ginn linked with OTB Sports
- The Florida Masochist linked with Miami Dolphins draft Ted Ginn...
Comments are Closed