The Denver Broncos traded up from the 21st spot to take Florida defensive end Jarvis Moss. The move cost them their 1st, 3rd and 6th round picks, which go to the Jacksonville Jaguars.
What the Experts Say:
- Rick Gosselin’s Final Ranking: 23rd overall
- Mel Kiper Final Ranking: Not in top 32
- Scout.com Final Ranking: 45th Overall
Player Evaluation: A sensational athlete and a disruptive force in the opponentâ€™s backfield, Moss is a defensive line prospect with a large upside. Will start off his career as a conventional pass-rushing defensive end, yet has the ability to move to different spots on the front line once he physically matures.
STRENGTHS: Athleticism, Backside Pursuit, Change of Direction
AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT: Disengaging Skills, Size
Pos: Gifted pass-rusher who is slowly pulling together a complete game. Breaks down well, plays with good pad level and is fluid moving in every direction. Rushes the edge with speed, effortlessly changes direction and makes a lot of plays in pursuit. Effectively uses his hands to protect himself and is rarely off his feet. Flashes power, defeats blocks or slides off them laterally. Smart ballplayer who quickly locates the ball and always works to make something positive happen.
Neg: Possesses a thin build and struggles against big offensive linemen. Marginally productive until last season.
A redshirt junior defensive endâ€¦
2005: Saw action in the final 11 contests on the season at defensive end, playing mainly on third-down situationsâ€¦Led the team and finished fifth in the SEC with 7.5 sacks on the season for a net loss of 54 yardsâ€¦Was also one of 15 Gator defenders with a pass break-upâ€¦One of nine to recover a fumble for Florida, and one of 11 with a forced fumble last seasonâ€¦Added four to his tackle total with four solo efforts against Louisiana State, as well as three quarterback sacks for a net loss of 28 yardsâ€¦Became the first Gator since Bobby McCray on Oct. 11, 2003, to record three sacks in a gameâ€¦Recorded the first forced fumble and fumble recovery of his career against the Tigersâ€¦Tied his career-high tackle total with five in Florida’s home win over Florida State, including three tackles for a net loss of 16 yards and 1.5 sacks for a loss of 11â€¦ Posted first quarterback sack and first pass break-up of his career versus Kentuckyâ€¦Added four solo tackles to his total, including two for a net loss of five yards, against South Carolinaâ€¦
2004: Played in the season opener against Eastern Michigan for seven playsâ€¦Saw action at linebacker in preseason drillsâ€¦
2003: Suffered a hernia in preseason drillsâ€¦Saw action at defensive end in one game (FAMU)â€¦Re-injured a muscle in his pelvic area, after battling through preseason pain, and did not returnâ€¦Saw first career action vs. FAMU, tying for the line-lead with five tackles on the night, including four solo hits on 40 playsâ€¦Second true freshman to see action on the defensive line since 2000, when Kenny Parker, Darrell Lee and Ian Scott playedâ€¦Named Scout Team Player of the Week on defense the week of the Miami gameâ€¦Dressed for the Miami and Tennessee games but did not see actionâ€¦
PREP: A Parade All-America selectionâ€¦Named a USA Today First-Team All-Americanâ€¦A SuperPrep All-America who was also listed to the Elite 50 teamâ€¦Led his team to three-consecutive Class 4A state championship games, winning titles in his junior and senior seasonsâ€¦A two-year starter who helped his team to a 30-1 record over his final two seasonsâ€¦Despite missing seven games due to injury, Moss recorded 81 tackles (29 for loss), 12 sacks, four forced fumbles and four recovered fumblesâ€¦ Totaled 122 tackles, including 52 for a loss and 28 sacks, seven pass deflections, three forced fumbles and five fumble recovers as a juniorâ€¦Had 61 tackles and nine sacks as a sophomoreâ€¦Was invited to play in the U.S. Army All-Star Game in Texasâ€¦Also considered Miami, Texas and Florida Stateâ€¦
Denver executes the second trade of the day and takes a chance on Moss in the hopes of getting an elite pass-rusher. While saying the Broncos are making a deal with the devil here would be harsh, there are some minor character concerns about Moss after Florida suspended him for a game last year. With the league cracking down on players that commit off-field infractions, it’s important Moss stay out of trouble. If he can, he is capable of giving the pass rush a substantial boost. Moss anticipates snap counts well, explodes off the ball and closes extremely well. The Broncos will likely use him as a situational pass-rusher, but there is a chance he develops into an every-down player if he can add some weight without sacrificing any quickness.
- Dallas Cowboys Draft CB Alan Ball
- NFL Draft 2009 Round 4 #110 – Dallas Cowboys – DE Victor Butler
- Chicago Bears sign LB Pisa Tinoisamoa
- NFL Draft 2009 Round 3 #69 – Dallas Cowboys- LB Jason Williams
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 1 #31 New York Giants – S Kenny Phillips
- NFL Draft 2009 Round 4 #120 – Dallas Cowboys – DE Brandon Williams
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 1 #10 – New England Patriots – LB Jarod Mayo
- NFL Draft 2009 Round 5 #166 – Dallas Cowboys – S Michael Hamlin
- Broncos Acquire Jimmy Kennedy from Rams
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 1 #8 – Jacksonville Jaguars – DE Derrick Harvey (via Baltimore Ravens)
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed