The Cincinnati Bengals may have gotten the steal of the draft so far, having cornerback Leon Hall fall to them in the 18th spot.
What the Experts Say:
- Rick Gosselin’s Final Ranking: 10th overall
- Mel Kiper Final Ranking: 10th overall
- Scout.com Final Ranking: 7th Overall
Scout.com Player Evaluation: Rarely tested by opposing quarterbacks, Hall has shut down opponents the past two years. Struggles against speedy receivers, as was the case against Ohio State this year yet has enough natural skills and cover abilities to quickly break into a starting lineup.
AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
- Closing Speed
- Recovery Ability
Biography: Three-year starter awarded varying degrees of All-Conference honors since his sophomore campaign. Senior totals were 45/3/15 after 61/4/9 as a junior.
Pos: Good-sized cornerback with outstanding ball skills. Fluid transitioning to run with opponents, stays with receivers out from breaks and quickly closes on the ball. Displays a sense of timing, reads opponentsâ€™ eyes and immediately locates the pass. Consistently positions himself to make a play on the ball. Instinctive, gets vertical to defend the throw and flies around the action.
Neg: Does not show top-end speed or play to his forty time. Not a strong sure-handed tackler.
Hall is an excellent addition and he should push for immediate playing time opposite Jonathan Joseph. He is a physical cover corner who is tough enough to match up with bigger receivers, athletic enough to stay with slot receivers and can make big plays in coverage. Character isn’t a concern, either. Hall hasn’t had any problems off the field and he works hard at improving his game. However, Ohio State fans will be quick to point out that he lacks ideal turn-and-run skills despite his excellent 40 time. The Bengals will have to give him safety help over the top when he lines up opposite a premiere deep threat. But the bottom line here is Cincinnati has done a good job of using the draft to build a potentially excellent secondary.
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #20 – New York Giants – CB Aaron Ross
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #14 – New York Jets – CB Darrelle Revis
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #6 – Washington Redskins – S LaRon Landry
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #32 – Indianapolis Colts – WR Anthony Gonzalez
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #27 – New Orleans Saints – WR Robert Meachem
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #24 – New England Patriots – S Brandon Meriweather
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #19 – Tennessee Titans – S Michael Griffin
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #30 – San Diego Chargers – WR Craig Davis
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #12 – Buffalo Bills – RB Marshawn Lynch
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #15 – Pittsburgh Steelers – OLB Lawrence Timmons
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed