The second year pitcher was demoted on Friday-
The team optioned Anibal Sanchez to Class AAA Albuquerque on Friday, two days after the shortest outing of his brief career.
“He wasn’t the same as he was last year,” manager Fredi Gonzalez said. “We need to get him straightened out for his own good and also for the team.”
Sanchez, 23, is 2-1 with a 4.80 ERA. He has pitched 30 innings in six starts and has posted 19 walks and 14 strikeouts. He allowed seven hits, three runs and four walks in just 31/3 innings Wednesday in a loss to the Mets in New York. He went 10-3 with a 2.83 ERA and finished ninth in NL Rookie of the Year voting last season.
Gonzalez and pitching coach Rick Kranitz said Sanchez was unhappy with the team’s decision.
Sanchez has several issues, Kranitz said. They include the command of his pitches, his work tempo, a tendency to become too predictable, an inability to adjust to hitters, and a slight mechanical flaw that keeps him from throwing on a downhill plane, like he did last season.
“He’s throwing too many pitches,” Kranitz said. “He’ll get ahead 0-2, and then it’s 3-2. And he’s thrown blocks of four balls in a row.”
Sanchez is scheduled to start for the Isotopes on Tuesday against Portland, Ore. Kranitz does not believe Sanchez will spend much time in New Mexico.
“I have no doubt in my mind he will come back up here, whether it’s after two or three or four starts, and he will be better,” Kranitz said. “This will make him better.”
Sanchez pitched a no-hitter for the Marlins last September. In 1953, rookie Bobo Holloman pitched a no-hitter for the Philadelphia Athletics in his his first ML start. Two months later, Holloman was shipped to the minors. He never made it back to the majors. I think Sanchez will be back, as to future effectiveness, I’d only be guessing. His poor control isn’t a good omen.
- Florida Marlins pitcher Anibal Sanchez has season-ending surgery
- Florida Marlins’ Anibal Sanchez likely to be out for two months
- Marlins Rookie Anibal Sanchez Throws No Hitter
- SF Giant Jonathan Sanchez throws a no-hitter
- Former MLB pitcher Geremi Gonzalez killed by lightning strike
- Marlins Preview: Willis and Co.
- Smoltz Flirts With No-Hitter as Braves Rout Nats
- Sonnanstine Showed Flashes of Brilliance
- Starter dooms Yankees again
- Stephen Strasburg scratched from start due to inflamed shoulder
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
- Florida Marlins pitcher Anibal Sanchez has season-ending surgery linked with OTB Sports
- PoliBlog’s Deportes: A PoliBlog Sideblog linked with Florida Marlins pitcher Anibal Sanchez has season-ending surgery
Comments are Closed