The wife of Tampa Bay Devil Rays rookie outfielder Elijah Dukes filed for a restraining order against her husband and said she fears for her life, The St. Petersburg Times reported Wednesday.
NiShea Gilbert, a middle-school teacher, said that Dukes allegedly burst into her classroom at lunchtime in April. A frightened Gilbert then ran to the principal and got a deputy, who banished Dukes from the school.
Gilbert told a Florida court that Dukes threatened to kill her and sent her a photo of a handgun to her cell phone.
Gilbert played a voice mail allegedly from Dukes for the newspaper. “You dead, dawg. I ain’t even [expletive]. Your kids, too.”
Gilbert has filed requests for protection twice in the last month, according to the newspaper. A hearing on her latest request is scheduled for May 30.
“I just don’t think I should live in fear,” Gilbert told the newspaper. “When [the Rays] go out of town, I come home. When they’re at home, I go stay with my mother. I shouldn’t have to live like that because he’s a baseball player.”
When approached by the newspaper before Tuesday night’s game, Dukes declined to comment on Gilbert’s allegations.
“I’m just going to play ball, that’s it,” Dukes told the newspaper. “I’ve got to go. I’ve got a video game to finish.”
Dukes is batting .231 in his first major league season with eight home runs and 13 RBIs.
Usually when you hear something like this you say “I can’t believe it”. Not this time. Sadly many people could’ve seen this coming.
Dukes, 22, has been arrested 6 times in the last 9 years. He has also been suspended multiple times by the Rays organization, including a season ending 35 game suspension 2 years ago.
Dukes needs help and he needs help fast. The Rays should’ve traded him (like I said) for some pitching help before he blew up again. The Rays have been way too passive about Dukes and a suspension should come out of this, showing the players in this organization that character should matter. This could hurt the Rays right now but it’s the right move to make.
- Rays Prospect Dukes Charged with Marijuana Possession
- Elijah Dukes is at it Again
- Sonnanstine Showed Flashes of Brilliance
- Washington Nationals release OF Elijah Dukes
- Tampa Bay Rays trade 2B Akinori Iwamura to Pittsburgh
- Tampa Bay Rays earn spot in World Series
- Yanks score 38 runs in two games
- New Jersey Nets ban gambling on team plane
- Nothing Beats a Home Opener
- Tampa Bay 1B Carlos Pena out for the season with two broken fingers
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed