Rather than try to comment upon a week that saw the Kansas City Royals get outscored 34-11, letâ€™s just pull out some notable stats. These and many more can be found at Baseball-Reference, The Hardball Times and Fan Graphs.
Line Drive Percentage
Butler 25.9% LaRue 25.0% Pena 21.9%
Young Mr. Butler has been putting some good wood on the ball so far in his pro debut. Not shown is LaRue whiffing 38% of the time and Pena pounding 52% of his hits into the ground.
Plate Appearances / Outs
PA OUTS DeJesus 157 102 Pena 132 101
Pena has ended his at bats with an out as many times as DeJesus in 25 fewer chances. Expect that gap to widen over the next 127 games.
Teahen 407 German 375 Sweeney 367
One thing to credit Buddy Bell, he has managed to get German into 26 of the teamâ€™s 35 games this year. Esteban has responded well after missing four straight games in late April, hitting 286/423/571 in the last nine games.
Just thought Iâ€™d point out that 1 out of every 4 times John Buck hits the ball in the air, it goes out of the park.
Sanders 1059 Buck 930 Teahen 821 German 816
Of course, Reggie Sanders is on the disabled list and John Buckâ€¦ Wellâ€¦
Dates G AVG OBP SLG OPS 4/2 â€“ 4/20 14 429 529 893 1422 4/22 â€“ 5/10 14 175 286 300 586
Since forcing Buddy Bell to make him the number one catcher, Buck has gone back to hitting like John Buck. Unfortunately, Jason LaRue is hitting like my grandmother, God rest her soul.
Dates G AVG OBP SLG OPS 4/2 â€“ 4/20 14 229 309 292 601 4/22 â€“ 5/10 15 296 350 537 887
Itâ€™s good to have you back, Mike.
Winning Percentage Added (WPA)
Sanders .53 Gload .52 Teahen .45
Over the course of the season, these are the only hitters who have a net positive effect on the outcome of games.
Soria .85 Meche .81 De la Rosa .27 Ducky .11
Soria gets high marks here because he pitches in the situations with the most leverage. Meche has been more than solid as a starter. Now, if we could only run him out there every day.
Gobble 1.35 Meche 2.15 Duckworth 2.18 Soria 2.87
With Greinke joining Duckworth in the bullpen, there may be a chance yet for the Royals to close out a few games. Of course, if Luke Hudson continues to give up five runs every two innings, Ducky and Zack G may find themselves back in the rotation.
LD% vs. K/9
Meche 14.3% 7.4 Peralta 30.6% 8.5
Gil Meche is striking people out and keeping them from hitting the ball hard when they do make contact. Joel Peralta is striking people out, and providing a rocket launcher to opposing hitters when he doesnâ€™t.
Back next week with good news from the road.
- Royals Week in Review – 3/30/07
- Royals Week In Review
- Royals Week in Review – 7/14/07
- Royals Week in Review – 04/20/07
- Royals Week in Review – 4/27/03
- The Royals Unoffensive Off Season
- Royals Week in Review – 6/29/07
- Royals Week in Review
- Royals Week in Review – 5/18/07
- Royals Week In Review – 6/8/07
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed