The Chicago Bears have waived Tank Johnson, ending their ties with the perpetual criminal, ESPN reports.
The Bears waived troubled defensive tackle Tank Johnson on Monday after he was pulled over for speeding in Arizona last Friday. Johnson already is suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 NFL season after violating probation on a gun violation.
“We are upset and embarrassed by Tank’s actions last week,” Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said. “He compromised the credibility of our organization. We made it clear to him that he had no room for error. Our goal was to help someone through a difficult period in his life, but the effort needs to come from both sides. It didn’t and we have decided to move on.”
Earlier this month, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Johnson for half of the regular season for violating the league’s toughened personal conduct policy. At the time Johnson, who recently spent two months in the Cook County jail for violating probation, called his suspension an “opportunity for me to move forward.” Goodell said the suspension could be reduced to six games if Johnson has no further involvement with law enforcement and undergoes counseling.
Last December, police raided the 300-pound defensive tackle’s suburban Chicago home and found six unregistered firearms — a violation of his probation on an earlier gun charge. That charge stemmed from Johnson’s 2005 arrest after a Chicago nightclub valet reported seeing Johnson with a handgun in his SUV. He subsequently pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge.
Two days after last December’s raid, Willie B. Posey, Johnson’s bodyguard, was shot and killed in an early morning fight while he and Johnson were at a Chicago nightclub. Johnson was suspended by the Bears for one game for being at the club. He played in the Super Bowl as the Bears lost to Indianapolis.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Goodell increased the suspension to a full season or even banned Johnson for life. He’s an embarrassment to the League.
- Cowboys Sign Tank Johnson
- Tank Johnson Suspended One Game
- Indianapolis Colt DT Ed Johnson charged with drug possession
- Denver Broncos Wide Receiver arrested for 4th time in 3 years
- Chicago Bears release RB Cedric Benson
- Lions Assistant Suspended for Nude, Drunk Driving
- Shawne Merriman Suspended for Steroids
- Baltimore Ravens acquire WR Donte Stallworth
- Kentucky Horse Racing Commission suspends Jockey Calvin Borel
- NFL Nose Tackle Jason Ferguson suspended for eight games
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed