Obafemi Martins a striker for Newcastle United and Nigeria appears to have narrowly escaped an attempt on his life in what appears to be a retaliation for missing a game for the Nigerian National Team.
The horror ordeal began when three masked gunmen surrounded Martins at a petrol station near his plush apartment in Lagos, Nigeria, late on Monday night. The player, who is now recovering in Italy, said: â€œI didnâ€™t know their mission but they looked scary and mean. My nerves were completely dead when I saw the guns.â€ The terrified Magpies ace tried to reverse his car to get away but was blocked by another car parked behind him. Gunshots were fired at the windscreen and through the passenger window. Martinsâ€™ mate Remi Onipede was hit but the St Jamesâ€™ Park hero managed to run for cover before cops arrived. The gang did not steal the car and Martins now believes their motive could have been murder â€” as payback for him missing a recent international â€” rather than robbery. He said: â€œIf you are attacked by armed robbers, they only threaten you and take whatever they want but these guys were only after my life.
Fortunately, no one was killed in this occurrence. Its amazing that some of these soccer (and Raider) fans can get so worked up over their team they fell some uncontrollable urge to commit random and non-random acts of violence against just about anyone.
- Maurice Clarett Sentenced to 3-1/2 Years in Jail
- Punchy- Fighter claims broadcast of old fight is ruining his life
- Arrests made in the Sean Taylor murder case
- Fernando Alonso wins Bahrain Grand Prix
- Sebastian Vettel wins the Malaysian Grand Prix
- Jacksonville Jaguar OT Richard Collier shot
- Maurice Clarett has ties to alleged Israeli mobster?
- New Orleans Hornet Chris Paul sets new NBA steal record
- Makes no cents at all- Chicago Blackhawk Patrick Kane charged with robbery
- Zidane a Son of a Terrorist Whore?
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed