Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is hoping for a new contract that will tie him to the team beyond this year. Tim MacMahon wonders how much he’s worth, figuring that there are a lot of quarterbacks he’d rank higher.
That puts Romo in the second tier, but I reckon I get real wishy-washy at this point. Not sure whether I’d take him over these young bucks with a bunch of potential: Jay Cutler, Matt Leinart, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell, Eli Manning and JaMarcus Russell.
I’m not sure I’d put Smith or Campbell on that list but, otherwise, it sounds about right. I’d likely add Ben Roethlisberger, too, figuring he’s recovered from his injuries now. There are others I’d rather have for one or two seasons than Romo, too, but that about exhausts the lists of young QBs.
Now, as several of MacMahon’s commenters point out, Romo might prove to be a better quarterback than a lot of the guys on that list. Either or both Rivers and Young could prove to be a flash in the pan and plenty of his second paragraph guys are no more proven than Romo.
But that’s the point, right? How much money are you going to give to a guy who was 1) an undrafted free agent; 2) has started only 11 NFL games; and 3) has a fumble as his most memorable playoff moment?
For the record, I think Romo will be an above-average QB and would be worth signing to a long term deal. But I wouldn’t break the bank to do it.
- Chargers Looking Good in Manning Trade
- Eli Manning Better Than You Think?
- Brady Quinn a Safe Pick
- Redskins’ Campbell Has Romo Envy
- Romo in 5th Place in Pro Bowl Balloting
- Tony Dungy Wins His Way
- Cowboys Working on Tony Romo Contract Extension
- VY to the Pro Bowl
- Tony Romo Sets Good Records in Lousy Performance
- On the NFL Season So Far
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
- Conservative Cat
- The Pet Haven
- The Personal Development Blog linked with What I have learned from my dog
- stikNstein....has no mercy linked with The Art of Tony Snowing….Translating the Press Briefing...
- The World According To Carl
- Right Truth linked with Fred Thompson meets Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, caption and photo-manipulation contest...
- Pursuing Holiness linked with Satellite Problem - Inaccurate Hurricane Warnings
- Pirate’s Cove linked with Dems Love Military So Much They Will Now Attack Them
- DeMediacratic Nation linked with Fred Thompson meets Mahmoud Ahmadinejad...from Rig...
- The Amboy Times linked with Netherlands' Amnesty...
- Thank you Bert Brady « Nuke’s NEWS & VIEWS
- Leaning Straight Up linked with What the immigration priorities ought to be...
- Leaning Straight Up linked with Congressional Shocker: Tancredo Measure to deny emergency funds to sanctuary cities passes!...
- The World According To Carl
- Mark My Words linked with Some Republicans love Shamnesty...
- Public Eye linked with Crystal meth use in US twice higher than estimated...
- Pursuing Holiness linked with ACLU: Why can’t people just look away?...
- Pursuing Holiness linked with The Human Face of Illegal Immigration
- Colloquium linked with Recovering What I Believe...
- Public Eye linked with Looters raid Arafat’s home, steal his Nobel Peace Prize...
- On the Horizon linked with Sacred Text by Sandy Carlson...
- Nuke’s News and Views linked with Knee-jerk nukes
Comments are Closed