Kimberly Kim again proves she may be the best teenage Korean-American golfer.
Kimâ€™s score tied Christina Kim for the lowest 18-hole score in a USGA girlsâ€™ or womenâ€™s championship. Last year, Kimberly Kim became the youngest winner in U.S. Womenâ€™s Amateur history at 14 years old.
Kimberly Kim had 10 birdies and no bogeys Monday at the par-72, 6,391-yard Tacoma Country & Golf Club in Lakewood, Wash.
â€œI was telling my dad that Iâ€™ve been hitting really bad and putting really bad, so donâ€™t expect anything,â€ she said. â€œBut today I played really good. I just played really solid the whole round. I donâ€™t know what it was, but everything just seemed to work out.â€
She shot 31 on each side, making four birdies on the front nine and six on the back nine, including four in her final five holes. Kimâ€™s score was the lowest of the day by six shots. Three players, including Golfweekâ€™s top-ranked junior Mina Harigae, finished at 4 under.
Christina Kim shot 62 in the second round of stroke play at the 2001 U.S. Girlsâ€™ Junior, at the time setting the record for lowest score in any USGA championship. Billy Horschel broke that with a 60 in the first round of last yearâ€™s U.S. Amateur.
This golf nut didn’t even know about Horschel’s round. Kimberly was last year’s US amateur champ at age fourteen. She already has a very impressive record. Again you have to wonder if K2 is the future Korean-American superstar on the LPGA Tour rather than the much more heralded Michelle Wie. Kimberly can definitely play in addition to be much more low key than Michelle(She lists sleeping as a hobby!) and without the drama.(Questionable withdrawals, overbearing father, Firing a caddy through an agent)
A look at the Junior Girls leaderboard sees names like- Kristen Park, Stephanie Kim, Michelle Shin, Sue Kim, Stacey Kim. It won’t just be the ROK supplying the LPGA with players named Kim in five or more years.
Note- Michelle is supposed to be playing at the Evian Masters beginning Thursday. I really think Michelle needs a long break from golf to alllow her wrist(s) to heal.
- Roberts fires USGA-record 62 at Senior Open
- Move over Michelle Wie?
- Move over Michelle Wie Part V
- Christina Kim leads the State Farm Classic after 36 holes, Michelle Wie one shot back
- Move over Michelle Wie Part III
- In Kyung Kim wins Omega Dubai Ladies Masters
- Move over Michelle Wie Part IV
- Michelle Wie Disqualified at State Farm Classic
- Michelle Wie withdraws from the Ginn Tribute
- Holy Toledo- In-Kyung Kim ties LPGA Tour record for nine holes
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74