Atlanta Braves left fielder Willie Harris tied an Atlanta Braves record with six hits in last night’s game against the St. Louis Cardinals. He was the first Brave to reach that mark in 26 years.
On a perfectly pleasant night, in front of a regular season-record 53,953 fans turning Turner Field claustrophobic, the Braves and Willie Harris played up to the atmosphere Saturday night. How else to explain the outpouring of offense in a 14-6 pounding of the Cardinals, featuring Harris going 6-for-6? To run out the Cardinals fans?
NASCAR Night became ego-stroking night as the Braves crawled all over each other for the limelight. The scrappy Harris reached the top with six of the Braves’ 19 hits. The kid from Cairo singled four times, tripled twice, scored four runs and drove in six runs. He became the seventh player in franchise history to reach six hits in a game, the second to do it since the team moved to Atlanta. The other was Felix Millan in 1970.
Harris set career highs with his six hits, two triples and six RBIs. And he moved to center field in the late innings, so his left-field platoon mate Matt Diaz could get some at-bats, too.
- Braves Rally to Beat Phillies, Save Season?
- Willie Parker Rushes for 223 Yards, New Steeler Record
- Smoltz Flirts With No-Hitter as Braves Rout Nats
- Smoltz Gets 16th Career Shutout, Ends Starters’ Skid
- Chipper Jones Gets 2000th Hit
- Julio Franco Signs with Braves
- Mark Teixeira Homers, Hits 500th RBI in Braves Debut
- Battered- Chris Carpenter hits grand slam, gets 17th win, St. Louis beats Cincinnati 13-0
- Tom Glavine Rejoins Braves
- U.S. Team Waits to Learn Fate in WBC
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed