Former Miami Dolphin QB Daunte Culpepper has found a new home.
NAPA, Calif. – Free agent quarterback Daunte Culpepper signed a one-year contract with Oakland on Tuesday, giving the Raiders a backup plan for top draft pick JaMarcus Russell.
Culpepper, 30, worked out in the afternoon before a gathering of Raiders scouts and coaches in a private workout. Oakland coach Lane Kiffin announced the signing shortly after the team completed practice.
“We had to see him run around, scramble and do different things because his arm didn’t go away,” Kiffin said. “We weren’t really worried about that. We had to make sure everything else was good.”
Culpepper began 2006 as Miami’s starter but had trouble with his mobility and was sacked 21 times in the first four games. The Dolphins shut him down so he could continue rehabbing and eventually placed him on injured reserve. When they acquired Trent Green in a trade with Kansas City this offseason, Culpepper became expendable.
The Dolphins tried unsuccessfully to trade Culpepper a year after acquiring him from Minnesota. When Miami failed to find a team willing to trade for Culpepper, the former Pro Bowl quarterback was released on July 17. Culpepper met with Tampa Bay two days later but did not receive a contract offer from the Bucs.
The Raiders sent a member of their front office to Florida to work out Culpepper on Monday, then sent a private plane to fly the 6-foot-4, 265-pound quarterback to California for the Tuesday workout.
Culpepper said the Raiders “are giving me the opportunity to compete for the starting job,” yet acknowledged that part of his role in Oakland will be helping Russell “get ready to take over for the future,” he said.
From the outset, I thought Miami made a mistake in signing Culpepper. His tenure in Miami was an expensive disaster, and I’m not a fan of his off the field either. All that said, I wish Daunte well in Oakland. Except if he is playing against Miami, which the two teams are scheduled to play, or the team of my youth The New York Jets.
- Miami Dolphins Release Daunte Culpepper
- NFL QB Daunte Culpepper announces his retirement
- Oakland Raiders cut QB JaMarcus Russell
- Daunte Culpepper injures non-throwing hand in Automobile accident
- Are the Miami Dolphins about to cut Daunte Culpepper?
- Vikings Trade Culpepper to Dolphins
- Daunte Culpepper’s surgery may end season
- Lane Kiffin named TN Vols head football coach
- Daunte Culpepper placed on Injured Reserve
- The Culpepper – Lemon – Feeley – Harrington Effect
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed