The Dallas Cowboys cut nine players yesterday, including veterans Jamaica Rector and Montavious Stanley.
RB Jackie Battle
NT Ola Dagunduro
LB Dedrick Harrington
T Jason Hilliard
LB Alex Obomese
WR Jerard Rabb
WR Jamaica Rector
WR Jamel Richardson
NT Montavious Stanley
Rob Phillips reports that, “Battle (ankle) received an injury settlement and Rector (knee) was released/injured.”
Battle, a University of Houston product, had an impressive training camp but sprained his ankle in the Aug. 18 win over Denver. Dagunduro and Stanley were competing for the backup nose tackle job behind starter Jason Ferguson.
Rector made the team as a first-year veteran last year but had missed the last three weeks with a knee injury. Rector, Rabb and Richardson simply got caught in a numbers crunch at receiver once rookie Isaiah Stanback returned to practice on Aug. 11.
Monday’s cuts bring the roster total to 76, one above Tuesday’s 75-player limit. The club must trim to 53 players by Saturday, the final cuts coming after the Cowboys’ final preseason game Thursday night against Minnesota.
That they’ve release two of their three backup nose tackles is interesting, indeed. Phillips reports that “Remi Ayodele still could make the team, but he’ll likely need a good showing against the Vikings.” More interestingly, though, they seem to have found their guy at hiding at another position:
[Wade] Phillips felt all along Jay Ratliff could play nose tackle in a pinch, and the third-year defensive end proved him right against the Texans. As expected, Ratliff played some with the first-team defense Saturday night in place of starter Jason Ferguson and showed Phillips he can be a competent backup to Ferguson. “Yeah, and I think he can play in the game for us,” Phillips said. “He’s going to give us a little more rush than Fergie, although Fergie, when he played, got a hit on the quarterback and knocked the ball down. (Ratliff) gives us a little more movement inside. But Fergie gives us that experience and plays solid. I feel good at nose guard now.”
I wouldn’t be surprised, though, if the Cowboys aren’t scouring the waiver wires for another guy to fill that slot.
- Cowboys Re-sign Ayodele to Replace Injured Ferguson
- 2007 Dallas Cowboys Taking Shape
- Cowboys Sign Tank Johnson
- NFL Nose Tackle Jason Ferguson suspended for eight games
- Cowboys Give Glenn Ultimatum
- Dallas Cowboys Make Cuts to Get to 54
- Dallas Cowboys 2007 Undrafted Free Agent Signings
- NY Islander Defenseman Radek Martinek out for the year with a torn ACL
- Dallas ‘Final’ 2008 Roster
- Cowboys Finalizing Coaching Staff
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed