The Dallas Cowboys are hoping that 6th round pick Nick Folk can beat out Martin Gramatica and solidify their roster at kicker.
Cowboys training camp has gone so well that one of their biggest questions right now is the kicker. Martin Gramatica vs. Nick Folk.
Only in Cowboys land can this showdown between the veteran and the rookie truly hold fans’ attention. That’s because in recent years the Cowboys’ kickers have collectively made missing kicks an art: They can miss from anywhere at any time in any condition. Since 2000, the Cowboys have had seven kickers combine to make 72.1 percent of their field goals, the worst percentage in the NFL in that span. And only the Redskins have employed more kickers.
The Cowboys hope Folk wins the job. He’s 23. He has a strong leg (he also punted in college). He would potentially settle a position that has been unstable since the Jimmy Johnson era. “They want to settle it down for a guy to be here for 10 or 12 years,” said Folk, who was born in Germany and holds dual citizenship. He made his only field goal attempt Thursday night in the preseason opener, a 25-yarder. “I’m trying to do that.”
But Gramatica is making it difficult for Folk to win the job. In training camp he’s been consistent. He made two field goals in the preseason opener, including a 47-yarder that would have been good from 57. “I feel a lot stronger, not only kicking but in the weight room,” said Gramatica, 32. “Whatever I’ve done in the weight room has shown on the field.”
Gramatica already has earned a degree of his teammates’ confidence. His 46-yard field goal with 1 second remaining beat the Giants in New Jersey last December. “That was a make-or-break kick for my career,” Gramatica said. “If I had missed it, I probably wouldn’t have been here the next week. That was huge also with my teammates to create trust.”
It should be interesting. My guess is that Gramatica makes the team and they try to keep Folk on the practice squad.
- Cowboys Gain Instant Confidence In Gramatica
- Dallas Cowboys Draft Kicker Nick Folk
- Cowboys Cut Mike Vanderjagt
- Vanderjagt Kicks 50-Yarder in Cowboys Debut
- Stronger Kickers Changing Game Strategy
- New Orleans Saints waive K John Carney
- Cowboys Free Agent Shopping List
- Cowboys Off to Great Start
- Dallas Cowboys Camp Battles
- Cowboys Win Wild Game Despite Six Romo Turnovers
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed