An NFL rule change may be putting players’ health in extreme danger, Nick Sando argues.
The league moved back kickoffs to the 30-yard-line several years ago to facilitate more returns. The decision made sense for those who enjoy watching 22 grown men converging at full speed. It’s better yet if the guy carrying the football somehow breaks free.
With the heightened excitement comes heightened risk.
Two weeks after Buffalo lost Kevin Everett to a presumably career-ending neck injury during a kick return, Houston carted off Cedric Killings following another collision in the kick-return game.
Killings reportedly had feeling in his extremeties, a very good sign. And the league was surely happy to see four touchdowns on kick returns Sunday. But at what price?
There’s a huge problem with making sweeping conclusions based on two incidents without any controls. How many injuries have taken place since the rules change as compared to in previous seasons? What other variables (turf, equipment, player size, etc.) are at work?
- Two many happy returns- Miami Dolphins beat NY Jets 30-25
- Cowboys Release Kicker Shaun Suisham
- Punt Returns New NFL Emphasis
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers cut WR Dexter Jackson
- Vanderjagt Kicks 50-Yarder in Cowboys Debut
- Patriots Cut Willie McGinest
- Cincinnati Bengals sign WR Antonio Bryant
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 1 #11 – Buffalo Bills – Leodis McKelvin
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 1 #16 – Arizona Cardinals – Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
- Minnesota Vikings’ CB Charles Gordon Suffers ‘Gruesome Injury’
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed