And will probably play Cleveland in the Division Series. The Yanks have the best record in baseball since the All-Star break (48-24).
They started the journey seven months ago, across the bay in spring training at Legends Field. Joba Chamberlain was not invited, Roger Clemens was not signed, Melky Cabrera was not a starter, and Carl Pavano was not hurt.
So much has changed, the season unfolding in surprising and sometimes painful ways. The Yankees lost 29 of their first 50 games, and kept stumbling into July.
â€œThere were times,â€ Manager Joe Torre said, â€œwhen you felt like youâ€™d won the lottery when you won a game.â€
But the bumpy road has brought them to their expected destination, the playoffs, for the 13th season in a row. With George Steinbrenner, their principal owner, watching from a box after lunching with Torre in the afternoon, the Yankees clinched a spot in the postseason Wednesday night with a 12-4 wipeout of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays at Tropicana Field.
â€œThis has definitely been the hardest one,â€ said Derek Jeter, who went 3 for 5 with a homer. â€œWe scuffled early on, but everybody here knew we had a good team; we were just playing bad. A lot of people counted us out, and everybody sort of liked that.â€
It does feel good, especially considering how many ‘experts’ put forks in the Yankees in May.
- Torre to Manage Yankees in 2006
- Torre fired
- Yanks fail to clinch
- Los Angeles Dodgers hire Joe Torre to be Manager
- New York Yankee News – March 14 edition
- Torre’s tenure is over
- Torre Takes Mattingly, Bowa to Dodgers
- Why did the Yanks trade ‘Everyday’ Scott Proctor?
- AFC and NFC playoff picture rundown
- Yankee bats fall silent – streak over at nine
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed