Not enough teams may get the six wins needed for a bowl game berth. From the Orlando Sentinel-
The Conference USA bowl scenario is going to get interesting over the last three weeks of the regular season.
Entering the week, UCF is one of four C-USA teams now eligible for bowl berths.
While Knights Coach George O’Leary was safe not to say his club was definitely going bowling by just reaching the necessary six victories Saturday with its win over Marshall, there doesn’t appear to be any scenario in which UCF will be left out of the postseason. Especially with UCF’s remaining opponents boasting a combined 7-20 record.
But C-USA is actually in danger of not qualifying enough teams to fill its six tie-ins this season. UCF, East Carolina, Houston and Tulsa all have six wins. But it may come down to the wire to get two more teams there.
The East Division’s bubble teams are Southern Miss (5-4) and Memphis (4-5).
The West’s only remaining candidate is UTEP, which is 4-5.
The Golden Eagles should be safe to get one more win with remaining games against Memphis on Saturday, followed by a trip to UTEP and a finale against Arkansas State (4-5).
UTEP will be favored Saturday at Tulane (2-7) but will have to upset either Southern Miss or win at UCF to get its sixth win of the year.
Memphis has it a little easier, hosting UAB (2-7) and SMU (1-8) after traveling to Hattiesburg.
I think the moral of the story is- There are too many darn bowl games. Outside of Oklahoma and Oregon, Who would watch a Oregon St-Tulsa game?(I’m making up a bowl match up)Does a 6-6 deserve a trip? I can remember Florida State getting no bowl bid after going 8-3 in 1978.
- Bobby Bowden’s Swan Song- Florida State may get Gator Bowl invite
- Are you ready for some bowling?
- Its Time to Go Bowling…
- Are you ready for some bowling? II
- Golden State Warriors suspend Stephen Jackson for 2 games
- Easiest College Football Schedules
- Dennis Erickson Takes Arizona State Job
- Former NBA Giant Manute Bol Dies At 47
- Tennessee Stuns #9 Cal
- Oregon QB Jeremiah Masoli charged with one count of burglary
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed