The Blue Devils went 1-11 last season. From AP-
DURHAM, N.C. – Duke fired Ted Roof on Monday, two days after the Blue Devils concluded a 1-11 season with their ninth straight loss.
A news conference was scheduled for Monday afternoon to discuss the program. A person close to the Duke program, speaking on condition of anonymity because an announcement had not been made, said athletic director Joe Alleva would announce Roof’s dismissal.
The coach’s career record dipped to 6-45 after a 20-14 overtime loss to North Carolina, the Blue Devils’ fourth straight to their main rival. Duke has lost at least 10 games in three straight seasons, including a winless 2006.
After snapping a 22-game losing streak with a victory at Northwestern, the Blue Devils lost nine straight to end this season.
Duke has had exactly one coach with a winning record while at the school since 1966. That was Steve Spurrier, who coached the Blue Devils from 1987-89. Coaching Duke Football is a thankless job. You would think someone would have to be a masochist to take a job in Durham.(No I’m not applying.)
- Former PGA Tour player Mike Souchak dead at 81
- Duke Men’s Lacrosse Program to be Reinstated
- Tobacco Road Rivalry Resumes: Carolina Tops Duke 79-73
- Virginia Tech at Duke Roundup
- Georgia Tech fires coach Chan Gailey
- Arizona State Baseball Coach Pat Murphy resigns
- East Carolina hires Jeff Lebo to be its next basketball coach
- Temple at Duke Roundup
- Bobby Ross Resigns as Army Coach
- Goalie Martin Broder sets new all-time career shutout mark
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed